Home » FAQ



Where is the Link?

The Link is located in Perkins Library on Lower Level 1. If you enter Perkins from the Perkins – Bostock entryway and go down the staircase, the Link will be on your right.

back to FAQ

What are the Link hours?

The Link is open whenever Perkins Library is open. Service Desk hours can be found at http://oit.duke.edu/help. Hours will vary on holidays and academic breaks.

If the Link is open but the Service Desk is closed (after 5 on Fridays, for example,) most group study rooms and open study space remain open and available for student use.

back to FAQ

How can I find out what classes are being held in the Link?

The Registrar’s list of courses will have the most up-to-date information. A schedule of classes meeting on a particular day can be found using the 25Live website at 25live.collegenet.com/duke – just search for Link under the Locations tab.

back to FAQ

How can I reserve a room?

More information on reserving Link rooms for various events can be found here.

back to FAQ

What is the food and drink policy in the Link?

The food and drink policy in the Link mirrors the food and drink policy for Perkins Library. You can have food in the Link as long as you clean up any leftovers and are respectful of the comfort of others around you. We encourage people bringing food into the Link to bring closed drinks and food that can be easily contained and cleaned up (like boxed lunches); that is usually the easiest to manage.

Please note that there may be no catering or food delivery in the classrooms before 6 PM – this is a Trinity College classroom policy.

If you are planning to request a room in the Link and want to have food as part of your reservation or event, please include that information in your reservation request and consult with Link staff about what you would like to bring. Link staff can help you determine if your food or catering needs for your event can be accommodated.

back to FAQ

What equipment can I get here?

There is a variety of equipment available for loan to faculty and students to use in the Link as well as for general circulation. Information on multimedia equipment circulating from the Link can be found on the OIT website.

back to FAQ

Can I advertise my event and/or put up flyers in the Link?

Due to demand, we do not allow event advertising or flyering in the Link. If flyers are put up, they will be taken down by housekeeping and/or Link staff.

back to FAQ

How can I get something up on the Link Media Wall?

The Link Media is undergoing at technology service review. Of questions related to the wall and requests to display digital materials, please contact tts-av@duke.edu.

back to FAQ

How can I learn how to use the equipment here?

Assistance in learning how to use equipment in the Link is available from on-site staff. Anyone may make an appointment to have a Link staff member help them learn how to use equipment in a particular room. Appointments are strongly encouraged so that staff can make sure rooms are available in order to show you how to use the equipment hands-on. Appointments can best be made by contacting the Link using our online request form.

back to FAQ

How can I find out what software is available in the Link?

The Link’s open computers (at the service desk and in the back, near seminar 3) are maintained by OIT. OIT offers information about software installed on public computers here. If you’d like to request that software be added to the computers, you can use this form.

The computers in Classroom 6 (Perkins 072), are maintained by OIT staff on behalf of Trinity College of Arts & Sciences.

A list of software installed in classroom 6 can be found here.

back to FAQ

Who do I talk to about getting software installed?

Software installation requests are consolidated in the middle of each semester for the next semester or session’s courses, as part of the classroom request process. If you are teaching a class in the Link, we ask you to tell us as soon as possible what software you need so that we have enough time to make sure it will work for you.

Ad-hoc software requests will be accommodated during the semester if possible; we generally need at least two weeks to consider any requests, even for one-time events. We ask you to provide software information as part of the room request process.

back to FAQ

I am having a problem with my computer. What can the Link help me with?

The Link is the location for the on-campus OIT service desk, so we can help students with a wide variety of computer questions and problems. We can also provide some support for faculty & staff, though depending on the issue, you may be directed to your departmental or external support resources.

For more information on OIT service desk assistance, see the OIT website. If you are not sure if the service desk at the Link can help you with your problem, we encourage you to call the service desk at (919) 684-2200 before coming to the Link to make sure you are going to the right place.

back to FAQ

What is the difference between the services offered at the Link and the services offered at the MPS?

The MPS is a specialized OIT service point providing high-end, integrated hardware and software that encourage imaginative creation and editing of graphics, Web pages, audio and video. Production tools include industry standard software.

The Link is a good place to go if you have questions about classroom technology or would like general support for your computer. The MPS is the place to go if you need high-end software or support for doing graphic design or video editing. Link staff will frequently refer customers to the MPS to get support for editing video that they recorded with cameras checked out from the Link.

MPS West is next to the Link on Bostock Lower Level 1, and is available whenever the library is open, with a valid Duke ID card.

back to FAQ

I’d like to film a project in the Link. Can I do so?

Film projects are considered on a case by case basis. Please email linksupport@duke.edu for more information. Note that filming is not permitted in the open areas without prior approval, and folks doing filming or photography in those areas will be asked to stop or move to another area.

back to FAQ

I would like to use the Link for a videoconference. What do I need to do?

There are 5 rooms in the Link that can accommodate videoconferencing using built-in equipment – Group Study 11, Seminar 1, and Classrooms 3, 5 & 6. Availability of those rooms depends on whether or not the room is booked for a course or event as well as whether or not another videoconference has been requested at the same time.

Please contact tts-av@duke.edu to let us know that you need a videoconference. We need to know:

  • The date & time of your videoconference;
  • How many people are participating in the videoconference at the Duke location;
  • Contact information for the other end of the videoconference, including who is participating in the conference and the technical staff supporting their end of the connection (not necessarily the same person)

Depending on the size of the videoconference and any other videoconferences going on in the Link, we may be able to schedule you directly, or we may ask you to contact the Student Service Center to schedule your room. Generally we need at least a week’s notice so that we can schedule time with the other end to test the connection.

Note that there are other options for videoconferencing or webconferencing besides the Link; there are other Duke facilities that can support videoconferencing and software options that you can use. Link staff can advise you on your options and help you decide if the Link is the best option or if there are other solutions you can try.

back to FAQ

I’m interested in who manufactured your tables and chairs. Can you tell me more information?

Our tables and chairs in our classroom are holding up well – some are light weight and some are heavier, but all are designed to be moved and all of them are moved usually at some point during the day/week. Our tables are from Izzy Design, and our chairs are from Herman Miller.

back to FAQ

I’m not affiliated with Duke. Can I use Link rooms for activities or study?

Duke students or affiliates are the only ones who can reserve Link spaces,
subject to approval by Link staff. Unfortunately, that means that Link rooms are not available to be reserved by people who are not affiliated with Duke and you may not schedule events in the Link that have not been approved by Link staff.

You are welcome to use space that is open and not already in use or reserved to study. However, use by Duke affiliates will take preference, so you may be asked to relocate by Link staff or by a Duke affiliate if space is needed for their activities.

Questions about this policy can be directed to linksupport@duke.edu

back to FAQ

How can I borrow a projector?

If you have reserved a room that does not have a projector or other media equipment that you need, please contact Trinity AV/Classroom support at tts-av@duke.edu.

back to FAQ

Contact Us

To inquire about equipment, request a consultation, or provide feedback about your experience at the Link, contact linksupport@duke.edu.

For technical help with your laptop or to contact the OIT Service Desk, please go to: